- This event has passed.
Veterans Memorial Committee Meeting
September 20, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Meeting Minutes, Sept 20, 2018
Present: E Handwerk, D Christ, H Handwerk, W Dellicker, J Smith, R Bleiler,
Donald Christ presided and led discussion on the following topics:
- Election of officers was postponed for lack of full committee attendance.
- Information was received from Gloria Zimmerman about local veterans who served in the Revolutionary War and Civil War. Veterans names on local cemeteries from the Slatington Legion. Nancy Zellner was given some information to begin designing a data base program and enter names.
- Gloria Zimmerman said Wentz Memorials in Brienigsville just erected a Veterans Memorial in a western state with 3000 names. Bill Dellicker will try to get information about the scope, design and cost from Wentz.
- Discussed who should be included in our Veterans Memorial. Consensus was that all Veterans who served either before or after residing in the NWLSD, whether or not they served in an actual combat theater and those who are buried in a cemetery located in the NWLSD should be included. The committee agreed that when deciding if someone should be included, we should err on the side of inclusion rather than exclusion.
- The concept of a digital KIOSK to provide Veterans’ information was discussed. Open issue for future consideration with more information as to cost, benefits and availability.
- Discussed the need for a Township Solicitor’s opinion about any procurement rules, law or code the committee is required to follow for purchasing services and materials.
- Donald Christ stated that all donations to the Memorial will be sent to Tammy White at the Lynn Township Office to be deposited in a designated Memorial Fund. The Township’s 501-3C non-profit status will provide tax-exempt status for donations. He stated that the Township is audited and would therefore provide oversight of the Committee’s account.
- The Committee agreed that a website needs to be created along with Facebook and other social media for communications, access to information and submitting Veteran’s information for the Memorial.
- Discussed requesting that the School District, Townships and Churches put a link on their websites to the Memorial Committee website.
- Members present were assigned Churches to contact for Veteran’s information.
- Meeting times were discussed to try to accommodate everyone’s busy schedules. It was decided to hold meetings on the 4th Thursday at 7:00PM.
- Next meeting is October 23rd at 7:00 PM.