RULES for engraving names
Guidelines for Veteran’s names engraved on memorial panels
- The memorial includes all U.S. Veterans who took the oath of enlistment (Commissioned Officer, Warrant Officer or Enlisted) and served honorably.
- Must be presently serving or have been honorably discharged from the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserve components of all services.
- Merchant Marines in WWII who served on vessels commissioned by the Department of War/DOD have been granted veterans’ status by the Department of Veterans Affairs In accordance with the Merchant Marine Act of 1936,.
- All U.S. Veterans are included regardless of location served, combat experience, wounded or Killed in Action
- All U.S. Veterans will be listed on the panel that designates the period or war in which they served.
- Rank or branch of service will not be engraved.
- All names included are based on public records of the Veteran’s service, permission may not have been solicited to include a Veteran’s name on the Memorial.
Residency criteria for inclusion.
- All U.S. Veterans who served before, during or after their residence in Heidelberg, Lynn, Lowhill or Weisenberg Township
- If buried in a cemetery located in one of the townships, but not a resident while living.
Engraving errors and omissions
- The Memorial Committee or Townships are not responsible for correcting misspelled names already engraved on the panels.
- Names added after memorial completion will be added at the discretion of the Committee.
- Names added after the memorial dedication may not be added in alphabetical order, they will be engraved at the end of the period or war in which they served.
- Name only will be engraved on the memorial, rank, service, twp of residence will not be engraved.
- KIA will be noted with a symbol, if known.