- This event has passed.
Veterans Memorial Committee Meeting
March 19, 2022
Northwestern Lehigh Veterans Memorial Committee
7911 Kings Highway New Tripoli, PA 18066
Meeting Minutes – March 19, 2022 (rev 1, see #6, 8 Oaks)
Present: Justine Bachman, Steve Bachman, Richard Bleiler, Chris Brown, Donald Christ, Willard Dellicker, Harold Haas, Harold Handwerk, Ron Jerdon, David Keller, William Mantz, Nancy Zellner
Donald Christ called the meeting to order 9:04 AM at the Lynn Township Office and presided over discussions of the following topics:
- 1. MINUTES: The February 19, 2022 Minutes were accepted as written.
- 2. TREASURER’S REPORT: The balance in the Memorial Account is $184,068.56. Motion to accept the report by D. Keller, 2nd Harold Handwerk
- WEBSITE: https://nwlehighvetsmemorial.org.
- The website is up-to-date with current events and a fresh new look with new background pictures and construction progress.
- FORECAST OF REMAINING CONSTRUCTION COSTS AND CASH NEEDED:
- We need $84,446 in cash donations to cover remaining costs.
- We need to do another blitz for donations to cover our costs.
- QUOTATIONS and NAMES CURRENTLYBEING ENGRAVED:
- Names and quotations are being engraved on the eleven memorials at the rock of Ages quarry. The current oil crisis in the nation has made the rubber used for the engraving stencils scarce which may affect the engraving delivery.
- EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES:
- Ron Jerdon reported that the Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce is planning an event at 8 Oaks on June 1st, 5:30 to 7:30. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the memorial. Justine and Steve Bachman volunteered to sell coins at the event.
- We were notified by the VFW magazine that they will be running an article about our NWL Veterans memorial in the May Issue.
- The name the eagle contest has been completed; 81 names were submitted to the committee.
- The committee members submitted their top three choices and the winner was “FREEDOM”.
- Bill Dellicker will coordinate with Superintendent Holman the prizes and announcement of the winning name.
- A tally of the votes for the chosen names is attached.
- KIOSK FOR THE MEMORIAL ENTRANCE
- Local welder Nick Baer completed the fabrication of the kiosk which will be taken to a painter in Wind Gap for powder coating.
- A Lexan cover will be fabricated to place over the welcome message that was shown to the committee to decide on color options.
- The committee chose the colored red-white and blue for the message background.
- It will be placed on the column under the eagle at the memorial entrance.
- Shawn Fies is working on recording an “audio guided tour” of the memorial that can be accessed with a smart phone from a QR Code on the Kiosk graphic.
- COPPPER COMMEMEORATIVE COIN FOR THE DEDICATION:
- The final quote for 250, .999 pure copper struck coins is $2027 that includes shipping, a lacquer coating and a round, hard plastic container. If all 250 coins are sold for $25 the profit will be $4223.
- We also have approximately 200 of the previous colored coins to sell for $20, a $4000 profit potential.
- CONSTRUCTION PROGRESS:
- The benches engraved with the Township names and the eleven memorial bases have been installed.
- Paver installation will begin in the next week or two.
- Tree locations were marked for planting after the meeting on 3/19.
- First Generation (Bill Carmody) donated $1,000 to the memorial.
- Ron Jerdon will coordinate the installation of an outdoor electrical receptacle, surface mounted on the outside of the south fence pier.
- SOUVENIR BOOKLET AND DEDICATION
- Dave Keller reviewed the status of printing the souvenir booklet and dedication program.
- 300 Booklets will be ordered from the printer, 100 will be given to donors of $250 or more.
- Still need an honor guard and person to play Taps.
- A wreath will be placed at the memorial entrance on the day of the dedication.
- The Boy Scouts will raise the flag(s) during the dedication.
- The Girl Scouts will distribute programs to attendees at the dedication.
- ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION:
- Lynn Township ordered a 4×6 U.S. flag and a MIA-POW flag for the memorial.
- Don Christ will apply for a grant from the Folweiler Foundation.
- Security cameras are still not scoped out for the park and the memorial site.
- The Township Supervisors will be asked if additional insurance coverage is needed for the memorial site for liability or vandalism.
- ADJOURN: meeting adjourned at 10:15 AM
- NEXT MEETING: April 16, 2022 – 9:00AM at the Lynn Township Office