- This event has passed.
Veterans Memorial Committee Meeting
September 30, 2021 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Meeting Minutes – September 30, 2021
Present: Justine Bachman, Steve Bachman, Donald Christ, Willard Dellicker, Harold Haas, Harold Handwerk, David Keller, Terry Rehrig
Donald Christ called the meeting to order, 6:07PM at the Lynn Township Office Building and presided over discussions of the following topics:
1. MINUTES: The August 12, 2021 Minutes were accepted as written.
2. TREASURER’S REPORT: The bank statement of September 30, 2021 for the Memorial account at New Tripoli National Bank shows a current balance is $163,398. To Date, $237,423.65 has been raised. Motion to accept the report by H. Haas, 2nd by H. Handwerk, approved by all.
3. WEBSITE: https://nwlehighvetsmemorial.org.
The website has been updated to remove old information and add the recent pictures of construction progress. A link to our new Facebook page was added to the website.
4. PROJECT DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION DISCUSSION:
- The engraving information that was sent to Wenz Memorials is in the Drafting department at the quarry in Vermont.
- Flagpole has been installed.
- Stone veneer is complete the granite caps will be installed when granite components are received.
- Finished grading and drain box height has been completed. Snow fence removed.
- Fence posts have been set, fence railings will be installed after seeding and planting is finished, expected to be mid-October.
- Planting of the shrubs around the perimeter with river rock and much will be completed the week of October 4th.
- Electric feed conduit and wire for the lighting will be installed the week of October 4. Light posts will be installed after the granite caps are reinstalled.
- Working with a fabricator to make a suitable base to mount the eagle on the masonry pier at the entrance. The eagle install will also be done after the granite cap is placed on the pier.
5. COMMEMORATIVE COIN
We are working with a company to make a commemorative coin for the memorial as a fundraising idea. Design will have the memorial picture on one side with Northwestern Lehigh Veterans Memorial text around the perimeter, the other side will have a picture of our bronze eagle with the names of all four townships around the perimeter. Approximate cost for 300 coins is $3.50 for sale at $20.00. Target for coin delivery is before November 1st. Authorization to purchase coins moved by Steve Bachman, 2nd by Harry Haas, approved by all.
6. LETTERS TO VETERANS ORGANIZATIONS.
Letters describing our memorial story were sent to the VFW and Legion Magazines as well as Town and Country Gazette in Walnutport. 42 letters were sent to VFW and Legion posts describing our memorial and asking for financial help. An article was also sent to NWPress.
7. FINANCE COMMITTEE AND FUNDRAISING:
To date, Don Christ has taken orders from donors for six trees.
Veterans Day “Drive-By-Fund-Raiser” fundraising was briefly discussed. A meeting to plan that fundraiser will be called in the near future.
6. PROGRAM AND BOOKLET
Dave Keller is organizing adds for the Dedication Souvenir Booklet. The booklet is currently at about 120 pages. Four committee members have submitted a short bio and picture (that was due by September 15) to be included in the booklet GET YOURS INCLUDED!
There is a consensus that we need to work up a budget estimate for all of the remaining work to complete the project so we can determine how much more fundraising is required. The Construction sub-committee will meet to develop this financial analysis.
8. ADJOURN: Motion by H. Haas, 2nd D. Keller, adjourned at 7:10PM.