- This event has passed.
Veterans Memorial Committee Meeting
September 30, 2023 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Meeting Minutes – September 30, 2023
Present: Justine Bachman, Steve Bachman, Donald Christ, Willard Dellicker, Eugene Handwerk, Ron Jerdon, David Keller, Bill Mantz, Terry Rehrig, Anna Gilgoff
PRESENTATIONS OF LETTERS OF APPRECIATION:
Donald Christ called the meeting to order 10:AM at the memorial site in Ontelaunee Park. After the pledge to the flag, three Letters of Appreciation and three sets of commemorative coins were presented to Ed Sawyer, (received by his son Andrew), Jim Ritter and Chad Butters for their contributions to the maintenance, publicity and support of the memorial mission. Andrew, Chad and Jim are pictured below in the front row with committee members behind them. Anna Gilgoff was present to record the event for the NWPress. The Letters are attached to these minutes.
The Business Meeting was reconvened in the park pavilion.
- MINUTES: The August 18, 2023 minutes were approved. Motion by S. Bachman, 2nd E. Handwerk
- TREASURER’S REPORT: Balance as of September 27, 2023 is $25,565.05. Motion to receive the report D. Keller, 2nd W. Mantz
- WEBSITE: Website is up-to-date including both of the Memorial Day videos from 2022 and 2023 are on-line along with the announcement of the Veterans Day Food Truck fundraiser.
- DISCUSSION: The questions raised about he proposed design by Chris Brown were discussed with the Rock of Ages plant manager, Tom Burrington, for his suggestions.
- Recommends using Option 2 cross section for the granite caps to eliminate water seepage under the caps and ease of building a flat-topped wall instead of a sloped top.
- Did not recommend removing caps for engraving or relocating caps after installation because they would be epoxied in place and sealed to prevent moisture under the caps.
- For reduced granite fabrication costs and easier stencil alignment for engraving names in the field. He recommended making the outside and inside edges of the granite segments straight instead of curved.
- Chris Brown will incorporate these suggestions in his design.
- Ron is working on construction cost estimate and will include these suggestions in his estimate.
- VETERANS DAY PLANS
- Saturday November 11, Time 11AM – 4PM
- Food trucks are being finalized with at least three, possibly five to attend. Justine will meet with the trucks to decide on the best menus to provide food variety.
- Chris Noll will provide live music entertainment.
- 8 Oaks donated two bottles of Veterans Cut Bourbon for an OVER 21 raffle.
- Justine has lined up an engraved pillow and a fall decoration for an UNDER 21 raffle.
- Advertisement – Justine on social media, TV and Radio, flier for the NWPress.
- NWL Middle School will have a “Scavenger Hunt” for their students to learn about the memorial. Veteran attendees may be asked questions about their service.
- Ron Jerdon will print a large drawing of the proposed design for future memorial expansion.
- Committee members should arrive about 10:00AM to set up
- Please put yard signs advertising the memorial in prominent locations
- Please put fliers in businesses churches and other locations
- A motion to spend $240 to have the Veterans Day flier placed in the Nov 2nd edition of the NWPress. Motion S. Bachman, 2nd Justine Bachman
- NEXT MEETING: Friday October 13, 6:00PM at EIGHT OAKS FARM DISTILLARY
- ADJOURN: Motion to adjourn by Dave Keller 2nd by Ron, Bill and Steve
This Letter of Appreciation from the entire Northwestern Lehigh Veterans Memorial Committee is intended to express our sincere appreciation for all your personal attention in maintaining our new NWL Veterans Memorial. We understand that the memorial site was added to your many park maintenance duties and required you to work over-and-above your original maintenance tasks.
Your attention to all of “unseen” clean-up you did during construction without being asked, phone calls to committee members keeping us abreast of construction questions, material delivery issues and security shows your loyalty and dedication to your neighbors and our veterans.
After construction was completed, your attention to detail for the grounds surrounding the memorial kept it looking beautiful. Mulching, trimming, weeding and cleaning the pavers kept the site looking manicured and presented a pristine appearance that a veteran’s memorial like this should have. Your efforts also preserve the huge investment our community made for its construction.
Eddie, on behalf of the entire memorial committee, thank you and best wishes for success and happiness in you new venture. Enclosed is a set of the commemorative coins for the NWL Veterans Memorial as a small token of our appreciation.
Donald Christ, NWLVMC Chairman
This Letter of Appreciation from the entire Northwestern Lehigh Veterans Memorial Committee is intended to express our sincere appreciation for the videos you filmed and formatted to document the Memorial Day events held at Ontelaunee Park, New Tripoli in 2022 and 2023.
Your many and enjoyable “Out and About with the Ritters” videos show the culture and traditions that our local communities’ treasure and enjoy. They capture the beautiful, scenic areas we live in and the values that our residents hold dear to themselves such as the respect and honor that we give to our veterans for their service and sacrifice.
The YouTube videos that you produced are posted on our website for all visitors to view at their convenience and they were also fun to watch on Uncle Jeffery’s show on Blue Ridge TV. Your personal touch captured in the interviews of participants and in your comments during the program add to the professional documentation of the recorded videos.
We truly appreciate the time you took to be present at our Memorial Day programs in New Tripoli, prioritizing our rural setting over many other events in more populated areas that you could have attended.
As a small token of our appreciation, the entire Veterans Memorial Committee would like you to have this set of the commemorative coins for the Northwestern Lehigh Veterans Memorial and know that you are always welcome at our events.
Donald Christ, NWLVMC Chairman
This Letter of Appreciation from the entire Northwestern Lehigh Veterans Memorial Committee is intended to express our sincere appreciation for your contributions to the construction of the memorial and to the memory of the veterans themselves.
The dedicated barrels of Veterans Cut Bourbon you created in 2022 and 2023 are a beautiful and meaningful tribute to commemorate the “spirit” of Veterans Day to honor the sacrifices our veterans and their families made to defend our nation’s freedoms.
We truly appreciate the time you and your team at Eight Oaks took to design the Veterans Cut Bourbon bottle, gather veteran’s signatures for the barrels, and the donation of proceeds from the bourbon sales to the construction of the memorial. Your service to our nation in the US Army and your service to our local community is noteworthy and appreciated. It shows the dedication you have for our nation and for those who served with you to defend it.
Your participation as a speaker in our Memorial Day program with your heartfelt remembrance of your brother-in-arms also shows your personal connection with the sacrifices made by our veterans throughout our history to keep our Nation free.
As a small token of our appreciation for your contributions, the entire Veterans Memorial Committee would like you to have this set of the commemorative coins for the Northwestern Lehigh Veterans Memorial.
Donald Christ, NWLVMC Chairman