- This event has passed.
Veterans Memorial Committee Meeting
August 27 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Meeting Minutes – August 27, 2019
Present: Richard Bleiler, Donald Christ, Willard Dellicker, Eugene Handwerk, Harold Handwerk, David Keller, William Mantz, Nancy Zellner, Terry Rehrig (guest)
Donald Christ called the meeting to order 7:00 PM at the Lynn Township Office and presided over discussions of the following topics:
- MINUTES: The June 18, 2019 Minutes were accepted as written.
- TREASURER’S REPORT: Eugene Handwerk furnished the bank statement ending 8/27 for the Memorial account at New Tripoli National Bank. The current balance is $10,552.14. $145.05 (net after transaction costs) was received through the website via our new Stripe account. Motion to accept the Treasurer’s report by Bill Mantz, seconded by Harold Handwerk, approved by all.
- WEBSITE: Our website at https://nwlehighvetsmemorial.org. has received 295 visits since June 2, 2019 as recorded by a website monitor, Analytics, which tracks activity visits to our site. A copy of the Analytics report is attached electronically.
According to Wayne Kessler, our web page designer, we can automatically transfer Veteran’s information for the memorial to the Excel spreadsheet Nancy is loading name into. Nancy said she can take individual forms and manually enter the information if they come in a few at a time.
Nancy reported that she has approximately 1,100 names loaded into our data base.
Since our mailing was sent out, the Township office has received 30 Veteran’s information sheets and $700 in donations.
- DONATION ACKNOWLEDGEMENT CARD: 1000 cards were purchased to acknowledge receipt of donations for a cost of $231 from Smith’s Print Shop in Walnutport. When issuing a card for a donation please add the date of receipt. Donations of $500 or more will be acknowledged with a formal letter that includes tax exempt information.
- MASS MAILING: Our information letter for the Memorial was mailed to 5,957 residents of all four Townships. The mass mailing was contracted to Hot Frog Print Media, LLC for a total cost of $3,727.22. Total cost included $1,493.84 postage, $2,216 printing and $17.38 shipping to Post Offices. The letter was attached to the June minutes.
- EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES: Don Christ, Harold Handwerk, Steve and Justine Bachman, Terry and Linda Rehrig represented the Memorial Committee at the Night in the Country on August 24.
We were invited by the Pioneer Apple Fest to set up a booth on October 5th to hand out information about the Memorial. We were asked not to solicit donations.
Donald Christ asked the committee to participate in a group picture of the entire committee for future communications to the community. He will attempt to set up a date with the Northwestern Press for the picture at the memorial site in Ontelaunee Park. More to follow…
The Lowhill/Weisenberg Historical Society festival is on September 14 and 15. Donald will try to line up committee members for a presence on one of those days.
- DISCUSSION: A discussion about where to place Veteran’s names who were in more than one war on the panels in the memorial. It was suggested the we make another visit to Palmerton to see how they handled that issue.
A suggestion was made to contact Anna Gilgoff to ask if she would consider writing an article for the Town and Country newspaper.
- ADJOURN: Motion by Harold Handwerk, seconded by Richard Bleiler
- NEXT MEETING will be determined by President Christ who will notify the committee.