- This event has passed.
Veterans Memorial Committee Meeting
October 22, 2019
Meeting Minutes – October 22, 2019
Present: Justine Bachman, Steve Bachman, Donald Christ, Willard Dellicker, Harold Handwerk, Harold Haas, William Mantz, Terry Rehrig (guest)
Donald Christ called the meeting to order 7:00 PM at the Lynn Township Office and presided over discussions of the following topics:
- 1. MINUTES: The August 27, 2019 Minutes were accepted as written.
- 2. TREASURER’S REPORT: The bank statement ending 10/22/19 for the Memorial account at New Tripoli National Bank shows a current balance is $13,212.10.
Motion to accept the Treasurer’s report by Steve Bachman, seconded by Bill Mantz, approved by all.
- WEBSITE: https://nwlehighvetsmemorial.org.
Nancy has approximately 1,600 names loaded into our data base.
- EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES:
- Don Christ and Bill Dellicker attended the Weisenberg/Lowhill Historical Society Fall Festival on September 15, received $60 and handed out applications.
- Christ, Dellicker, Haas, Handwerk and Rehrig attended the Pioneer Apple Fest. Handed out applications and collected $120.
- Donald Christ asked the committee to participate in a group picture of the entire committee for future communications to the community. He will attempt to set up a date with the Northwestern Press and/or Anna Gilgoff for the picture at the memorial site in Ontelaunee Park. More to follow…
- Danny Staub of Lehigh Valley Signs donated an aluminum sign “FUTURE HOME OF THE NORTHWESTERN VETERAN’S MEMORIAL” which has been placed on site in the park.
- Donald Christ contacted Richard Nothstein of the Palmerton Vet’s Memorial regarding our discussion about where to place Veteran’s names who were in more than one war on the panels in the memorial. Their practice was to put the name on only once for the earliest war. The committee thought that this should be put in our RULES for Engraving Names. A motion was made by Terry Rehrig, second by Harold Handwerk, approved by all.
- Anna Gilgoff told Donald Christ she would like to interview committee members and write an article about the Memorial. Donald will coordinate a date and inform committee members.
- Donald Christ was questioned by a resident asking if someone who served in the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) during WW-II would qualify as a Veteran to be included on the memorial. After research, it was determined that CAP volunteers were not considered Veterans, they never took an oath or received. an honorable discharge. Their service was in a volunteer auxiliary unit for civilian service. The committee consensus was that CAP volunteers would not be included on the memorial as a Veteran.
- Future maintenance costs should be considered as part of the costs for the memorial construction.
- Large donors such as individuals, corporations, organizations should be listed on a granite panel as Patrons. The actual amount considered to be a large donor patron was not discussed.
- A fundraising idea was discussed to consider creating a book that chronicles the Memorial design and solicit patrons to be listed in the book. The book could be offered for sale for the dedication.
- It was suggested that we meet with Chris Brown, the landscape architect for Ontelaunee Park to begin design discussion.
- Harold Haas thanked the committee for the Get Well card that was sent to his wife during her recent illness.
- NEXT STEPS:
- Donald Christ suggested meeting with the Township Engineer to discus the design for preparing the site for construction including excavating and drainage plans.
- Possibly asking Bill Beitler to help with surveying the site.
- Suggestion was made to advertise the memorial and solicit donations to add names as a Christmas present for family members using $100 as an appropriate minimum amount.
- We should move forward with a design that would have 3000 names.
- Develop a fundraising plan that includes solicitations from local businesses, banks, organizations.
- ADJOURN: Motion by Harold Haas, seconded by Steve Bachman at 7:15PM.
- NEXT MEETING will be determined by President Christ who will notify the committee.